Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Waddle On In! It's the Penguin!

I've had 7 p.m. Thursday, May 22 at Dick Pond Elmhurst on my "to-do" list for quite a while. John "The Penguin" Bingham will be in the store to speak to runners and autograph copies of his books, which will be on sale. I've known the Penguin for a long time, and he won't let me forget how I opposed his idea of changing the Chicago Distance Classic from a 20K to half-marathon when he bought it a few years back! The rest is history. He has grown the event into one of the top half-marathons in the country. John is a Chicago-area guy who understands the running landscape around here, from front to back, or maybe I should say back to front. I'm sure you've seen his great columns in "Runner's World."
Books on sale will be:
No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running
Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life with Running
Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Full or Half Marathon.

Dick Pond is at 124 N. York St., just north of the tracks in Elmhurst. Call 630-832-7685. See you there!

No comments: