Friday, May 23, 2008

Time to Chill

We're heading out of town and out of contact for a few days. It's a small lake in northern Missouri. I know there are two-lane highways to get us there. That's all I know. We're meeting good friends from back in the day when we lived in Milwaukee. While I'm out there, loafing, jogging, drinking a beer or two and otherwise unwinding, I'll be thinking of all you runners at the Soldier Field 10, Western Springs Tower Trot, Ridge Run, Elgin 10-miler, St Alexander's 5K, Madison, Jacksonport and everywhere else this weekend. It's time for me to re-charge for the Madison-Chicago 200M Relay June 6-7. I'll be running close to 19 miles in three chunks over about 20 hours for our Grand Masters team (50-and-over), Fossils Velocity. My team captain Chris Nemeth assigned me to Legs 12,24 and 36, which means I'm running anchor. I don't take the responsibility lightly on a team of hard-core studs like this one. To quote one of my favorite songs from xc skiing's American Birkebeiner: "I got to put in some training, or I'll have a whole lot of paining." Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That quote needs to be on a t-shirt :)

Enjoy the training and the chilling!

Bridget

Pete said...

Good luck on the relay!

Bob Richards said...

Just back in town. Got in some great runs out in the middle of nowhere (northeast Missouri). I did some relay trainin' and I've got some painin'. Saw the weekend race results. Glad I skipped Elgin!