Saturday, August 23, 2008

A-Maze-ing Race, I Wish (Updated)


Photo: CARA Hall of Famer Dick Lamermeyer hits the finish mat in DeKalb.
I drove west into the heavy fog of DeKalb this morning and ran the Corn Fest 10K. While my race didn't go quite as well as planned in the 95 percent humidity, I have to accept that others in my age group dealt with it a little better than I did. I clocked 43:35, which doesn't exactly bring home the hardware. I'm licking my wounds from a sixth-place finish, which was five seconds away from a third-place finish. Four of us 55-59ers hog the results from 67th-70th places. Oh, for a little more gas and a better kick! Enough about me. Fellow Elmhurst Running Clubber Charlie Kern, 39, of Elmhurst, who coaches us on Tuesday nights, grabbed the overall win in 32:44. Yeah, Charlie! Way to go. Chad Ware, 22, of Deerfield (DeKalb? in the results), was second in 32:53, and Chris Setzler, 35, of Wonder Lake, took "bronze" in 33:42. Charlie told me he moved into first in the last half-mile. He was quite elated. Well-known Tera Moody, 27, a St. Charles native living in Boulder, Colo., won the women's race in 35:22. Amanda Domich, 23, of Algonquin, placed second in 37:46, and Pam Blair, 27 of Chicago, took third in 38:52. I want to thank all of the people who cheered me on this morning. The race organizers also did a great job. I always love this race because it's a confluence of talent from Chicago, Rockford and other points north and south. Here's to everyone who raced today, including those who went to Sullivan's tap for a couple of brews after the event's conclusion!

No comments: