Thursday, August 21, 2008

Outtakes: Accenture Chicago Triathlon

Updated a bit from Thursday
Australian Greg Bennett, the defending champ, Andy Potts, the tough-luck American who just missed making the Olympic team, Matt Reed (maybe . . . he competed on Tuesday in Beijing), Aussie Craig Alexander, a two-time Chicago winner, American David Thompson, and other top-shelf talent highlight a strong men's field in Sunday's Accenture Chicago Triathlon. The women's field stars Liz Blatchford and Julie Dibens of Great Britain, U.S. Olympic alternate Becky Lavelle, American Sam McGlone and two-time winner Joanna Zieger, a sentimental favorite from her days as a Chicago resident.
Here is a story I wrote in this morning's Sun-Times:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1120720,CST-SPT-tri22.article
This Andy Potts quote about not watching the Olympic tri was edited out for space:
“I saw a bit of it, but it was pretty hard for me to watch it,” Potts said. “I ended up actually bailing out after a while and went out and rode my bike.”
Here are a few Chicago 2016 quotes I couldn't get in:
Potts -- "I would love to see Chicago get the Olympics. With it being on Lake Michigan and with a great infrastructure in place to get the people to and from . . . there are so many positives about Chicago as a cultural city and what it can offer the world. I would love the city to get the Olympics. I would be 40 then, but I'd give it a try (making the team)!"
Race founder Jan Caille -- "The Accenture Chicago Triathlon, the world's largest triathlon, has hosted many Olympic triathletes. We are known as a great competition and THE place to be if you are a top triathlete racing the international distance.
"Chicago is one of of triathlon's greatest stages, and with the Windy City vying as a finalist to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, our world-class event is definitely the one to watch!"

No comments: