Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tracking Our Local Elites

I finally caught up with CDC overall winner Greg Costello via e-mail. Here's his take on Sunday. One interesting fact that slipped through me until right now is that Costello won last year in 1:09:54 and won this year on a long course in the same time, 1:09:54. That means he's in pretty good shape! Here are his comments:
"I actually got a few emails mentioning that I wasn’t in the results at all after the race on Sunday (he eventually was). I am not sure what happened, but there were actually a few mistakes. First of all, they announced that I was the runner-up from last year (he won) while I was on the home stretch, and they said the wrong name as I finished, and a few of the reports online had Jose (Munoz) as the winner. Also, I do think the course was a little long (written before the CDC explantion). I know of 4 guys that ran with Garmins and they all had between 13.3 and 13.4, and there were definitely a few long miles, and I don’t remember any short ones.
"I ended up leaving the chase pack at about the 3-mile mark, and worked my way up solo and didn’t catch Jose until after the 11-mile marker. At the turnaround, it seemed as though he was almost a minute ahead of me, but I guess the quick early pace and heavy head wind got to him. Once I caught him, I went right past him and put about 20 seconds on him before the last half-mile."

Costello, 27, of Chicago, also said he probably will run the Chicago Half-Marathon in September. He heads to Oregon for the Hood to Coast relay next week. His ultimate goal is the New York City Marathon. He is coached by Chris Wehrman.

No comments: