Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Barefoot Running, Or Almost

So what's your take on barefoot (or is it barefooted) running or almost-barefoot running with some of the new low- or no-impact shoes coming out? Much of it stems from the great book, "Born to Run," but there are others who have done it, pro or con in the past. I am one of those people. Way back in the day, I ran cross-country at Glenbrook North High School. We ran barefoot and we won conference at the varsity level when I was a sophomore and again when I was a senior. People then thought we were a bit looney, and a couple of schools made their courses extremely tough to run on without shoes. It obviously was not a disadvantage to go sans-shoes as we took home the hardware. I really haven't run barefoot much since then, but did see a guy running with nothing on his feet at Boston this year. He was running about 3:50 pace when I saw him at 15 miles. I have no idea if he finished. So have you tried it? Any thoughts????

2 comments:

Kelly said...

It's always nice to see an alternative way of thinking. I ran Boston this year in a pair of Saucony Fastwitch racing flats, something I would'nt have even considered a year ago. I started this season with my first pair in a 5k, then a half marathon, and then Boston. So far, lighter is better.

John Garcia said...

I want to try it. But after decades in shoes, you gotta start slowly. I think a few miles on soft grass every once in a while is a good idea. McDougal makes a compelling argument, but I'm not ready for a barefoot marathon.