Thursday, October 9, 2008

Marathon Factoids I

I've got plenty of outtakes from my freelance coverage with the Sun-Times for tomorrow. I'll start with these nuggets.
Constantina Tomescu-Dita of Romania is 38 and became the oldest woman ever to win marathon gold at the Olympics on Aug. 17 in Beijing. She is trying for her second Chicago victory on Sunday.
William Kipsang of Kenya (my men's favorite) has the sixth-fastest 2008 marathon finish time with his 2:05:49 in April at Rotterdam.
Daniel Njenga of Kenya, by way of Japan, is one of 13 males who have had six top-three finishes in World Marathon Majors events (Chicago, New York, Boston, London, Berlin, Olympics, World Championships). He never has won with three seconds and three thirds in Chicago. Ouch!
Berhane Adere of Ethiopia is one of seven women to have won Chicago twice. The others are Catherine Ndereba, Joyce Chepchumba, Marian Sutton, Ritva Lemettinen, Lisa Weidenbach and Rosa Mota.
More to come!

No comments: