Saturday, September 27, 2008

Not Much Lacks at Makin' Tracks


Serving as a fill-in race on the highly charged CARA Circuit, the Makin' Tracks 5K did a good job of providing CARA quality on short notice on Saturday. Having changed from 10-year age groups to five-year and re-ordering all the awards were just a couple of things the race had to do once it was designated as a Circuit race to replace the Park Ridge Charity Classic 5K, which was cancelled for this year only because of construction. I was as stale as they come and felt myself breathing hard while running a mighty pedestrian pace. I lumbered in at 21:04, slow for me and not good in my quest to finish in the top three in my age group. I was sixth in a throwaway race for me on the Circuit. Others fared much better, including men's winner Timothy Henry , 24, of Wheaton (15:49.4) and Colleen Newhart, 24, of Oak Park (17:50.2). Second-place finishers were Dave Wilson, 39, of Brookfield (15:57.9) and Sanya Syrstad, 43, of Warrenville (18:11.8) and third-place overall went to Nathan Kennedy, 22, of Bolingbrook (16:05.3) and Pam Blair, 27, of Chicago (18:23.7). The venue, based at the Concordia College stadium in the leafy west suburb, was excellent. Hats off to my Elmhurst Running Club mates, most of whom had terrific performances again this week.

No comments: