Friday, June 24, 2011

Mosop Likes What He Sees in Chicago

Could he get into the 2:02s?
Kenya's Moses Mosop, the debut marathon record holder, announced this week he will run the 2011 Bank of America Chicago Marathon, aiming to improve upon his historic first marathon. Mosop's time of 2:03:06 at the 2011 Boston Marathon is the fastest marathon ever run by a first-timer and the second fastest marathon in history. After taking a course tour in Chicago with Executive Race Director Carey Pinkowski, Mosop believes he can capitalize on Chicago's flat and fast route and energetic neighborhoods to run even faster in his second attempt at the marathon distance on October 9.

Mosop's Boston time broke the previous debut record of 2:05:50 set by Kenya's Evans Rutto at the 2003 Chicago Marathon. Mosop's performance ranks as the second-fastest marathon all-time behind fellow Kenyan and 2011 Boston Marathon champion Geoffrey Mutai's 2:03:02.

"I was very pleased with my performance at the Boston Marathon, especially since it was my first marathon. In my second marathon, I want to run even faster," said Mosop. "I feel that the Bank of America Chicago Marathon is where I have the best opportunity to do that. I like the course, I feel strong in my training and I am looking forward to coming back to Chicago for this great event."

Mosop recently set a new 30-kilometer world record at the Prefontaine Classic track meet in Eugene, OR., on June 3. His time of 1:26:47 was more than two minutes faster than the previous record set in 1981 by Japan's Toshihiko Seko, the 1986 Chicago Marathon champion. Prior to running his debut marathon, Mosop was a 2004 Olympian in the 10,000 meters. He won the bronze medal in the 10,000 at the 2005 World Track & Field Championships, and a silver medal at the 2007 World Cross Country Championships.

"Moses is one of the top runners in the world and his performance at the Boston Marathon this past April was truly amazing," said Pinkowski. "Moses is very athletic and I feel he can go even faster on our course. His track and cross country credentials are impressive and it is that blend of inherent speed and strength that has traditionally produced historic performances at the Bank of America Chicago Marathon."

No comments: