Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Chicago Half a Whole lot of Humidity!

I've had a couple of days to think about it, and the more time passes, the more I feel even better about finishing well in my age group despite what seemed to be 90 percent humidity on Sunday at the 17th annual Chicago Half Marathon. For me, it was a day to be careful early and make sure no Gator-Ade and water were skipped early. I didn't come close to the time I ran last year when conditions were close to perfect, but not many people did. In my case, this one was all about holding back through Mile 7 to make sure I had something left. Also great were the cheers from spectators along the way and having fellow runners from the Elmhurst Running Club in my midst as we all pounded the pavement up and down Lake Shore Drive. At any rate, the conditions were a factor for everyone. "The humidity sucked!" overall winner Thomas Frazer told me in an e-mail. Irish-born Frazer, 31, of Lake Forest, won it in 1:07:22. He is running the Berlin Marathon later this month, hoping to break 2:18. Second place went to Julio Del Val Gonzalez, 31, of Torrijos, (Spain or Mexico, not sure), in 1:09:26. Third was taken by local phenom Emisael Favela, 36, of Berwyn, in 1:10:08. The women's race was a runaway by former Lake Park High School standout Lindsay Flanagan. Flanagan, 22, of Roselle, won it on a tough day in 1:16:36. Women's runner-up was well-known local Kristen Heckert, 26, of Lisle, who posted a 1:19:19, and third was taken by Christina Fiduccia, 27, of Chicago, in 1:23:14. At last count, there were 10,594 finishers. This was a very well-organized race. Kudos to all involved.

No comments: