Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two Big Names Enter Shamrock Field

As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times (P. 56) today, U.S. Olympian Amy Yoder Begley and Canadian 10,000-meter record holder Simon Bairu plan to compete in the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle on April 10. Begley is a six-time U.S. champion and competed in the 2008 Olympics in the 10,000. Bairu was a two-time NCAA cross-country champion at the University of Wisconsin.
"I'm really excited to continue my return to high-level competition at the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K after Achilles surgery last year," Begley said.
Bairu didn't hold back in his quote.
"I intent to start the season with a win," the Canadian said. "I remember those long cold winters in Madison, so I'm sure there will be a lot of enthusiasm out on the course as Chicagoans celebrate the arrival of spring."
Right about now, with snow forecast this weekend, the Shamrock made a good move by scheduling for April 10 this year.

No comments: