Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Brady, Marinangeli Win 4 on the 3rd (Updated with Quotes)

Kyle Brady of Wheaton (in photo near 2.05-mile turnaround at right against Christian Escareno at left) won the Community Bank of Elmhurst 4 on the 3rd race on Saturday, July 3. Brady, 21, a recent graduate of Division III power North Central College, broke away from Christian Escareno of Mount Prospect with just under a mile to go to win the 4-mile race handily in 19:30.
"My goal going into the race was to compete well and do the best that I could," Brady said. "I'm in the middle of training for the Chicago Marathon right now and off of some pretty big mileage weeks so I know my legs aren't completely under me or sharp by any means right now. I just wanted to run hard and see what happens.
"I knew that he's (Escareno) a pretty good runner and we've raced a few times in the past. I try not to worry about anyone else in the race or anything that I can't control. I was just going to run my race and see what everyone else did. It was good he was there because it gave me someone to compete with for over 3 miles.
"I think I did have a shot at the course record (19:07) but it was a very fast time. I had no clue to expect with my legs seeing that I haven't done anything fast so far this year and was just hoping to run well."
Jean Marinangeli, 26, of Arlington Heights (photo) conquered a strong women's field to win in 22:13. "I went out at a 5K effort with the goal to hang on as long as I could to the pace," Marinangeli said. "At the turnaround, seeing everyone, especially my Fast Track teammates, helped carry me through the 5K. The end was just hanging on and feeding off of the spectators." Escareno, 22, made one last push for the lead at the underpass downhill on Mile 3, but Brady wouldn't budge and took control with about eight-tenths of a mile to go. Escareno finished in 19:43 with Matt Blume, 28, of Chicago, taking third in 19:50. Amanda Domich, 25, of Crystal Lake, was second woman in 22:54, and Columba Montes, 31, of Chicago, was third in 23:40. The CARA Runners Choice Circuit race had 737 finishers.

1 comment:

Daniella McConnell said...

Exercise is a huge component of staying fit and healthy and while it’s so great to take advantage of the nice weather and run outside when that is possible in Chicago, it’s also great to find free classes in the city that people can take advantage of! Chicago Hero Fitness is offering a free class with one of their trainers! Details are here: http://bit.ly/afCzy3 Complimentary of Billy Dec!